Skip to main content

ᐯᒋ ᒪᓯᓈᓲ ᐊᓂᒌᔥ

Apply Now

Need Help?

If you have any questions about your adult education application, please contact

If you need internet access or one-on-one support, you may also contact your Local Adult Education Office or email  to make arrangements.

Interested in General Education (Upgrading)?

General Education applications are open. Students will be accepted throughout the year as seats become available. If there are no spots available in your community, you may be placed on a waitlist. 

Interested in a Vocational Training program?

Click here to see which programs are currently accepting applications. If you have questions about a local program, contact us at  for more information. If you are interested in a regional program at SRVTC, you can reach the centre directly at .

When you sign up for our application portal, you will receive an email confirmation. You must click the link in that email within 48 hours of signing up for our portal. If you do not receive a confirmation, please double-check that you submitted the correct email address. 

If you have any questions about your online application, please email

How to Apply

Getting Started

Filling Out my Application

Upload my Documents

Admission Requirements

General Education

You can register for General Education if you:

  • Reside in the community
  • Are 16 years of age or older as of June 30 of the previous school year

Local Vocational Programs

You can apply for a local Vocational program if you:

  • Reside in a community served by the Cree School Board
  • Meet the age requirement for the program
  • Have the prerequisites required for the program

Regional Vocational Programs

Sabtuan Regional Vocational Training Centre

You can apply for a regional vocational program at SRVTC if you:

  • Are a beneficiary of the James Bay and Northern Quebec Agreement
  • Meet the age requirement
  • Have the pre-requisites required for the program

Student residences are available for those who live outside Waswanipi.

Documents Needed

To apply for adult education in Eeyou Istchee, you will need to provide:

Birth Certificate

Long form with parent(s)’ name(s)

The long form birth certificate must be provided with your application form. If you do not have a birth certificate, please contact the issuing agency of the province you were born.

Report Cards and Transcripts

Your secondary school report card(s) can be obtained from the school board you attended.

Transcripts issued by the Ministry of Education of Quebec can be requested through our Administrative Services.

Health Insurance Card

It is important to have a valid health insurance card. If it is lost or expired, please follow these instructions from the Cree Board of Health and Social Services of James Bay.

Other Documents

Requirements vary between programs. You may  be asked to provide additional documents such as a driver’s permit, health and safety card, explosives permit, and health and vision test.

Apply to your intended program as early as possible to ensure you have time to collect these documents.

If you are applying for a Vocational program, you may need to provide additional documents such as a driver’s license, placement test, or a vision test.

Student Financial Assistance

Frequently Asked Questions

Am I eligible for student financial assistance from Sabtuan Adult Education Services?

To be considered for financial assistance, students must:

  • Be a JBNQA beneficiary;
  • Have a Secondary School Diploma or be at least 18 years of age and have not been registered in the youth sector for at least 12 months prior to their application;
  • Not be receiving amounts under any student assistance program;
  • Intend to return to school on a full-time basis (20 hours or more per week).

Individuals who are eligible for other funding, such as EI, may wish to review their options before accepting a student allowance from the Cree School Board. Your Local Employment Counsellor at Apatisiiwin Skills Development will be happy to meet with you to review your funding options.

How do I apply for financial assistance?

When you apply for a program using our application portal, you will automatically be considered for both admission to adult education and financial assistance.

What amount will I receive?

Payments are calculated to cover the basic cost of living for a student and their dependents. Amounts will vary depending on a student’s marital status and number of dependent children. Students can inquire as to the exact amount upon approval of their application.

Are childcare expenses covered?

In addition to receiving bi-weekly payments, students may also receive reimbursement for childcare expenses for child(ren) six years of age and under. Please note that only expenses from public daycare or after school programs can be reimbursed. To request reimbursement, students must submit a form along with the receipts from their public child care provider. Forms can be requested at your local adult education office or by emailing .

What if I am receiving funding from another source (Employment Insurance, government grant, ASD allowance, etc)?

Students who are receiving an allowance, grant, or funding from another source are not eligible to receive a student allowance from the Cree School Board. If you previously received an allowance from Apatisiiwin Skills Development for attending a Sabtuan Adult Education Services program, do not reapply for an ASD allowance this year. Your funding, if eligible, will be provided directly by the Cree School Board.

Am I allowed to have a part-time job if I am receiving student financial assistance?

Yes, as long as it does not interfere or disrupt your studies and no school is missed. Students must commit fully to their studies to receive financial assistance from Sabtuan Adult Education Services. Any missed days may result in decreased payments, and repeated absenteeism may result in the removal of a student’s funding.

Will I receive funding during the holidays?

Yes, so long as it falls within the school calendar year. Students will continue receiving their allowances through all school holidays (including Goose Break), with the exception of summer holidays. Consistent attendance before and after holidays is required to continue receiving funding.

A situation outside of my control (such as a medical appointment, illness, or bereavement) impacted my attendance. Will I still receive a payment?

Please let us know as soon as possible, ideally in advance, if you will miss school for any reason. The Cree School Board has policies in place to respond to these circumstances.

I was approved for student financial assistance, but I also qualify for other funding options (Employment Insurance, education grant, etc). How do I know which option is best for me?

Your local Apatisiiwin Skills Development (ASD, formally CHRD) office is a great resource for reviewing programs and exploring options, including EI and adult education student financial assistance. We recommend contacting your Local Employment Counsellor to discuss which funding is best for you.

I was not approved for astudent financial assistance, what should I do?

Students who are not eligible for financial assistance may contact Apatisiiwin Skills Development to explore alternative funding options.

What is defined as a dependent?

A dependent child is defined as:

  1. a child of the student
  2. a child of the student's spouse or of both
  3. a child for whom legal adoption procedures have been undertaken
  4. a child who has been adopted in accordance with Cree tradition

and who

  1. is not married or living in a marital state with another person
  2. is 18 years of age or under
  3. is living with the student
  4. is not himself receiving assistance under this Policy

A dependent spouse is a person who:

  1. is married to the student
  2. has been living with the student in a common-law relationship for at least 12 consecutive months (an affidavit must be provided), or
  3. is the father or mother of the student's child and is living with the student and is not himself receiving assistance under this Policy.
What is a JBNQA beneficiary?

JBNQA stands for “James Bay and Northern Quebec Agreement.” Beneficiaries are those identified as benefiting from the provisions under this agreement.

Students applying for allowances will need to prove their beneficiary status by providing a beneficiary number. Note that this is not the same as an Indian Status Registry Number.

To obtain your beneficiary number including those of your dependents, contact your local Band Registry Clerk.